Thursday, September 22, 2011

For those who know about cars, Brake Light Problem, 1995 Nissan Sentra?

Ok, here's the problem. I have a 1995 Nissan Sentra. When I turn on the lights, all the lights turn on as they should. I have a problem with my brake lights and/or tail lights and I would like to know how to repair it. When I press on the brake, my right brake light turns on like it should while my left tail light/brake light turns completely off. Once I release the brake, both tail lights stay on as they should. So basically whenever I press down on the brake the two lights in the rear left side both turn off. I have tried the most basic thing I could think of, switching the bulbs and it didn't change anything. Someone with a little bit of car knowledge please let me know what's going on.For those who know about cars, Brake Light Problem, 1995 Nissan Sentra?
you have two filaments in those bulbs. one set is for running lights, the other is for brake lights.



obviously your right side lights are working 100%, left side, only the running lights are working.



bulbs are eliminated as you changed new ones in...and hopefully tested your old bulbs in the right hand side to confirm they do indeed light up...and as a result there is not a short in the system instantly blowing your brake filaments out on that side.



after you do confirm that.



check your fuses to make sure you dont have separate fuses for left side brake lights and right side brake lights. if you dont, then you might want to check/replace your hazard light relay as the hazards use the high intensity brake lights...not the running lights to signal with.



after this I would think about swapping the brake light switch that is mounted up on the brake pedal under the dash.



after all this, you might want to see if a connector going to that brake assembly is unhooked or loose or corroded or has a burned out connection. you'll want to open the connectors and check inside them. sometimes simply unplugging the connector and plugging it back in will break the corrosion and give you good contact.



after that, I'd start checking grounds.