Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I have a 92 Chevy Malibu and the brake light and chime will not go out. How can I stop it, w/o taking to shop

I have taken it to get the brakes looked at and changed twice and nothing has worked. I don't mind the light staying on but the constant chiming is driving me insane!!!! HELP!I have a 92 Chevy Malibu and the brake light and chime will not go out. How can I stop it, w/o taking to shop
First, I don't believe there is a 1992 Malibu. The latest Malibu that came out was in 1997. So whatever year your Chevy is are you talking about the brake light in the dash? When you apply the emergency brake that light will come on. And then when you start to drive (and the emergency brake is still applied) the chime will keep chiming to let you know that you have not released your emergency brake. If the emergency brake is under the left side of the dash, there is a switch at the top of the assm. that probably has a bent contact. You can unplug the switch and see if that helps. If your emergency brake is a handle you pull up on in-between your front seats in the center console then you need to remove the center console to get to it. Wherever it is it sounds like you need a new emergency brake light switch. P.S. I'm a Chevy mechanic.I have a 92 Chevy Malibu and the brake light and chime will not go out. How can I stop it, w/o taking to shop
James is right. If still it does'nt work, have the master distributor check. It should be under the car close to the driver's door. Easy to identify, has all brakes lines attached to same. Good luck.

Report Abuse

I have a 92 Chevy Malibu and the brake light and chime will not go out. How can I stop it, w/o taking to shop
If you are talking about the %26quot;chime%26quot; for when your door is open, that is most likely the 'door jam switch' which is usually found in the (you guessed it) door jam. It looks like the switch on your refrigerator that know when to turn the light on.



If both brake lights are constantly on then that is most likely the brake light switch. You can find that connected to you brake pedal. Replacing this can be tough, unless your flexible or don't mind squeezing under your dash while upside down.



If it isn't either of those it sounds like an electrical problem, then that means you should take it to a shop