Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ok, I still can't solve my brake lights problem!!!?

I checked everything and even use test light to see if everything has powers. No idea? Only other thing I can think of maybe is the brake pad switch but I replaced twice??? So, how can I check if the brake pad swich is good before I install it?



Recall info:

blubs changed, fuses good, tail light is good, turn signal is good, all area has powers(tested). So, with headlights on or off both back brake lights don't work just the middle but tail light works and is the same blub???Ok, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
Use a bench tester to determine if the switch itself is good. It should show a circuit being closed when activated. Also check in your ground circuit to the brake lights they are usually grounded together and in some vehicles this circuit is separate from the turn signals. Also in a few vehicles there is an in-line fuse to the brake lights system, this is to avoid losing all tail lights during a failure of one system of the other. Electrical can be a head ache, as you undoubtedly know by now, but I wish you best of luck and you will find the problem. One other thing is does the vehicle have a wiring harness for a trailer? If so I would start by tracing it, I have found several shorts in this wiring harness and it will lead to problems which can stay masked. One I found was just pinched slightly between the hitch and frame but was enough to cause a short. Hope this helps ;)Ok, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
Oh man you use your brakes..?Ok, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
This is a confusing situation. You may have to take it to a mechanic. Sorry I couldn't help more.Ok, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
check for power coming from the brake light switch into the turnsignal switch and then out of the turn signal switch. the third brake light bypasses the turn signal switchOk, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
Check the switch on the pedal with your test light. Make sure there is power to the switch. Have someone push the brake and make sure power goes through the switch, if not replace that switch. If it checks good, you may have a broken wire.Ok, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
You probably put a single filament bulb in a double filament socket.



Check to see if you have a double filament bulb in place. It will have two silver boobs on the bottom.



Also clean the contacts and pull the contact tab up a little at the bottom of the socket. Sometimes the bulbs force them down too far so they don't make proper contact.



The simplest thing to do is to check if you have voltage at the socket contacts. Have a friend step on the brake pedal whlie you hold a voltmeter to each contact within the socket and to ground. If you get 12v voltage, everything is working perfectly. The only explanation is the bulb. If this is the case, then either:

A) The bulb is defective. Try another one.

B) You are putting the bulb in 180 degrees off. Match the side nipples to the socket properly.

C) You have the wrong bulb, or it is single filament (see above).



This is not rocket science. Power to the socket = a lit bulb.Ok, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
You wont like this however:

IF things are as they seem to you there are only two possibilities that come to mind:

1) The brake switch - I know of no test for them other than to install them and see.

2) There is a wire in the system between the brakes and the lights that is partially frayed. When enough voltage is put through it - it shorts out. Unfortunately - you'll probaby need a mechanic for that second one. If the wire is cracked inside its casing - you'll never be able to see the bad wire as one.Ok, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
You can test the brake switch with an ohm meter. Have someone hold the switch in the position it should be in to activate the lights, then check to see if they light. Maybe the switch is out of position.Ok, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
you bulbs have two diferent wires going to it the turn signal is one and the brake is the other now if no brake lite but you have turnsignels try replacing the bulb it my look good but is not.Ok, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
the only thing it sounds like you didnt check was to see if your ground has a good connection.some light testers wont help you there.you might have to look for it and make sure it is tight.its probably on the cars frame.follow the wires to the taillights and see if there is one wire that is bolted to the frame,and thats probably itOk, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
have you check the switch on brake pedal or have your brake fluid check on some cars there's an electric switch on master brake cylinder.Ok, I still can%26039;t solve my brake lights problem!!!?
Most likely you are going to have to replace the turn signal switch in the steering wheel, your brake lights work through your turn signal , you may want to also check to see that the hazard flashers are working if they are not, make sure the hazard flasher switch is turned off, because the brake lights will be canceled out if the switch is on, but if the hazards are working properly then the turn switch is most likely the problem if you are sure about the other components you have checked