Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I fix the brake light on my '98 Stratus?

To give the history here... I learned my right tail light (inner brake light) was out. I checked the number of bulb I needed, bought it, and replaced it. Nothing: the light is still out. I messed around with it a little, switched the bulb for the brake light with the one for the turn signal (it had a different number on it; I wondered if the parts book gave me the wrong number), but still no tail light. And now no turn signal either! Frustrating.



Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking it might be the circuit board; when I was changing the bulb in the first place, it looked like no one had touched the tail light assembly in eons - the access to the bulb wouldn't turn, and I had to use a screwdriver to pry it loose. And I had to do the same thing with the turn signal bulb. So maybe I bollixed up the circuit board? The other two lights in the assembly work (the outer brake light and the backup light).



Two questions here, really:



1 - Is the circuit board the most likely culprit. or if not what is?



2 - How difficult is it to change the circuit board myself? (Or to do whatever repair is necessary?)



Thank you!How do I fix the brake light on my %26039;98 Stratus?
Check the fuse first (the left and right stop lights are on different fuses for safety reasons).

Replace the bulbs as they were before - being different, the contacts do not mate.

1 - I hope not - even if it cracked, the conductor part, being thin and flexible, usually resists some time.

2 - depends on the car and your experience. Before doing it, check the board circuitry for continuity. It is usually fixed with self-tapping screws or similar fasteners to the body - apart the access, shouldn't be too difficult.

3 - before assembling everything, a drop or two of WD40 on socket contact may help. And don't touch the bulbs with bare hands, they last longer.

4 - while you're at it, check the ground connection, clean and WD40 as necessary.

With a bit of luck (and skinned knuckles) you might do it.How do I fix the brake light on my %26039;98 Stratus?
I'm thinking now you might have burnt something out when you switch a brake light with a signal light of a different number.

Signal lights, usually have two filaments and two connector buttons on the bottom.

Brake lights usually have one filament and one connector button.

When you interchanged them you shorted something out and hopefully you only blew the fuse.

Should have someone who knows what they are doing look at it.